Nothing, not even the
savage blitz on Exeter in May 1942, has been able to stop
our continuos service to the smoking public in the South West.
Our family business was established in 1880 - since that date
there have been three generations of McGaheys at the helm.
Edgar McGahey saw the business
through the war years- relocation in a garden shed at the
bottom of his garden in Barnfield Road. The business returned
to High Street almost on the same site as the former shop
in 1955, the year in which Edgar McGahey died. Michael, who
had been in business since 1942, steered the business through
the next period of it's history. Whilst 245 High Street remained
true to it's policy of specialisation the company expanded
into prominently placed kiosks in London Inn Square, Princesshay
In 1973 Martin joined
the firm and father and son continued the traditions. In March1988
we carried out a complete refit of 245 High Street - striking
a balance between a conventional image and modern shop fitting
technique. In 1992 we were the only independent retailer in
Street. Michael retired in February 1992. 1996 was a year
of great change due to our landlord's redevelopment plans.We
had to leave the site for a few months and move to Princesshay.
After completion of the work we moved back to the same site
but on a corner location.
As specialists we stock a complete range
of most of the well known names in pipes and carry the largest
selection of lighters in the South West. Cigarettes, Tobaccos,
Cigars and Snuff displayed in profusion with every makers
name one can think of, and in the unlikely event of a customer
requiring something not in stock - this can quickly be obtained.
We have a complete repair service for lighters and pipes and
will always be pleased to quote. We hope we can be of service.